How to import from Octopart?

Im following the bluetooth tutorial here and the docs here. Each of these resources describe a page that appears when clicking the “Create New” button in the “Add Component” window. This page allows you to import part attributes from Octopart, but I’m not getting that page. It just takes me straight to the Component Editor.

Does this functionality still exist?

1 Like

I’m am encountering a similar problem.

I have forked a component, and am not seeing any of the properties translated over, or a way to import these properties once in the component editor (hyperlink datasheet, etc).

@Craig We did actually remove our existing Octopart import functionality since it didn’t fit with a more streamlined workflow we were aiming for. We do have some exciting new part creation features waiting in the wings which re-introduces Octopart integration, which we’ll be announcing this summer.

In the meantime, anyone on Live Support would be more than happy to associate an Octopart number with any part to facilitate your BOM.

@aShireDuke “Forking” a component is really using that component’s shapes and pin-names as a template for another component. We don’t bring along the component’s other electrical attributes, since they’re unlikely to apply to a completely different component. If you could describe a bit more about what you’re trying to accomplish, we might be able to point you to the best workflow.

My use case of “Forking” was to fix or customize an existing part. Example: Reorganizing pins on a complex regulator so pins are in logical order (in on left, out on right, room for inductors) vs sequential order (pins in order around part). Another example would be to add custom fields that I require for my workflow (digikey PN, etc).

But manually copying the part isn’t so bad for now.

you should update the docs to reflect this. i just spent way too long trying to find out how to do the octopart import before i found this post.

2 Likes

Hi,

@spongman you are right. Sorry about that. We are in the process of updating all our help content and you will find these updated very soon. In a situation like this, it is best to contact us immediately via live chat or e-mail us at support@upverter.com and we are happy to assist you.

So did this ever happen? I still can’t seem to get to an Octopart import…
@keith-lee-gstix

I’m a little late to the game here so I don’t know if this is a new feature or not, but, from Octopart, it’s possible to click a link on a part that takes you to component in the Upverter library. It doesn’t appear that the import feature was revisited since this thread was started. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, I’ll add it to my ‘feature suggestions’ list.