Pour (GND) refuses to connect with GND pin of header

I am trying to build a simple breakout to connect a flat flexible cable to a breadboard. It is a public project entitled FFC Breakout.

I modified a generic 4 pin header to solder 4 ordinary header pins to each side of the board. Pin 4 of J2 is supposed to connect to GND along with Pin 8 of the FFC connector J3. See:

I have tried numerous ways of connecting them both to GND.

The Net List shows an entry for GND - J2-4 J3-MNT_2 J3-MNT_1 J3-8 - but when I go to the layout, the rat’s nest never showed any connection to J2-4.

When I did the pours, J2-4 is always avoided:

When I try to draw a trace from J2-4 to the pour and then repour then the pour avoids the trace.

No matter what I try, the pours will not connect with J3-4, which is clearly attached to the GND net in the scematic.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hey Rob,

Im looking at this right now for you. Can you send me the design id? Thanks.

Hey Rob,

I found your problem. When you edited the 4 pin header you disconnected pin 4 from the footprint. You can see this by opening it up in the part editor, and hovering over the pads. You’ll notice when you hover over the 4th pad no pin is connected. Thats why the pour isn’t connecting.

this:

vs this:

I fixed the part for you, just update the parts in your design and re-pour and it should work.

Zak

1 Like

Hey Rob, just making sure this fixed your issue?

Sorry about the delay in replying

Yes. That fixed it. The pin assignment thing is hard to find. The same thing bit me with some other parts too.