Highlight identical parts to speed populating?

Is there a way to highlight all identical parts for a given part in layout? Or some other way to make populating easier?

Use case: I just pasted the board and now I need to tweezer all the components on (or, same deal if I’m hand soldering). I takes a long time to individually open parts bags or trays or drawers for each part, place it, only to open the bag again when the part is needed again. So you want to dispense all 10 of your 1uF caps and stick them on at once. So I need the layout to highlight the outlines/silkscreens of every 1uF cap.

In Eagle, I wrote a custom script to do this.

What’s the best way in Upverter?

Hey ngermain,

That’s a good question.

1. In the Layout editor in Upverter, use the search box (top right corner) to search for the value in question (ie. 1uF). All parts that have this value will appear in the Parts list. You can then click each one to see its location on the layout. Right now there isn’t a way to make all such parts highlight together, so you’ll just have to click each one individually in the list.
  2. Another feature that you might find useful is that you can select multiple components on the schematic side by holding Ctrl. Then toggle to the layout and all those components will be highlighted on the layout as well (this is the Cross Probing feature). So if it’s easy to visually find all ten 1uF caps on the schematic, you could Ctrl-click them all.

Those suggestions are not exactly what you asked for but they should definitely help make the soldering process easier!

Let us know if you need help with anything else.

Anandh

That works great! Thanks for the quick reply. Didn’t think of searching by value.