Wiznet SPI W5500 Ethernet Module

Learning upverter by building a simple Ethernet module around the Wiznet W5500 to be used with other designs and interface through SPI.

Any comments and recommendations welcome!

Thanks.

https://upverter.com/willtoth/8291ccd50fe4eaa1/W5500-Ethernet-Module/

2 Likes

It looks like no one with any solid experience has chimed in, so I will take a stab at it. I am comparatively new to this sort of thing. Your layout looks cleaner than any of mine, so it is entirely possible any thing I find will be [my mistake not yours.]

The datasheet says that there are internal pullups on PMODE0, PMODE1, and PMODE2, so you donā€™t need the option on the board for the external pullups R25, R26, and R27 (although, I am curious how you got the upverter software to let you have overlapping parts like that).

Iā€™ve been working with ethernet since the days of vampire taps. I remember needing to disable auto-negotiation precisely once in those 3+ decades. More than a decade ago, there was a workstation that did not negotiate correctly with the office switch. All you need are spaces for R28, R29, and R30, and those should be marked as ā€œdo not populateā€ and ā€œdo not placeā€ in the Bill of Materials. (On the other hand, I donā€™t know how you intend to use your device. There may be reasons to lock an interface to a particular speed. )

Let me know if you get the module to behave rationally in the software. On the off chance that you do get it to do what you want, you should probably bring out traces for 3V3A and 3V3D along with the SPI traces.

The silk screen label for C14 is upside down.

The footprints for C9 and C10 includes a polarity dot on the silkscreen, but those arenā€™t polarized parts. That seems wrong to me. This isnā€™t your mistake, it is in the parts library.

You can check out my qualifications, or lack thereof, by looking at my design at https://upverter.com/hamjudo/03ca49a44db3c600/Y3MD2015/ . I think it is done.

Could someone review my review?

I see that I failed to note that I didnā€™t find any issues that would cause problems, only ways to improve it. Therefore, the design could be imported as a module, and used as is.

Was the review helpful, or pointless?

Did willtoth even read it?

Were the technical points relevant? useful? correct? Did I miss something blatant?

Help me improve my interpersonal skills. Which social norms did I violate this time?

How was my English?

Thanks for the feedback! It is certainly useful.

I meant to leave you a response originally.

I admit that I didnā€™t completely read the part of the datasheet that talks about internal pullups, I stole the PMODE section straight from their EVM (looks like they didnā€™t read that part of the datasheet either I guess). I was also surprised that it let me ā€˜stackā€™ the pads on the resistors with out giving me some kind of error.

Iā€™ll be updating based on your recommendations, and Iā€™ll make a note when I build and test it.

Thanks!
Will Toth