What's your favourite new trend in hardware?

I’m pretty excited about the future of Graphene & 3D Printing. Primarily for batteries. Imagine what they could do for wearables, and space?

Here’s a pretty sweet video on the subject! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDn2v-YKTOE

So what about yourself? What is your favourite new trend in hardware?

I’m pretty excited about the changes in the PCB manufacturing process. When we were touring ITL Circuits last year, they mentioned that new tech was on the horizon to reduce the waste and chemicals needed for modern PCB manufacturing.

Right now, copper clad fiberglass needs to be etched to get the copper layers necessary to make PCBs. In the future, we’ll be able to deposit copper directly on to the boards where needed. That means no more caustic etching chemicals, no need to make copper-clad boards, and no work to recover dissolved copper from the etchant.

3 Likes

Alex can you told, where you read about such process?

The things we might be able to do with 3D printing are really cool, like empowering doctors to push forward with greater medical research, or printing your own version of the Super Bowl Left Shark.

And the idea that we could make 3D printing as green and sustainable as possible gets me excited, and would be super appealing for any startup looking to reduce waste.

I heard about it from ITL Circuits in Toronto. @ian_hanna might be able to tell us more about it.

1 Like