Is upverter dead?

IS UPVERTER DEAD?

I have been trying to get a part made, posting several days ago that I continue to receive an error message indicating an ‘internal server error’.

After receiving no response for several days, I contacted Altium support.

Michael M. told me (part of the online chat conversation):

• I was able to confirm that upverter is not supported. I will see if there was any additional information regarding this and if anything official was sent out then I can send it to you.
    Just to clarify the support for upverter is on the forum and the product is not dead itself. Altium no longer covers for support. But you can also use eeconcierge if your forum is not getting action. https://eeconcierge.com/

Note that eeconcierge doesn’t seem to know anything about making parts for upverter, so I’m essentially dead in the water.

Thoughts? Rebuttals?

Hi Bill,
Not to worry, Upverter is in active development and maintenance. The concierge part request is a feature that, due to the restructuring of the back-end post-Altium-acquisition, was relegated to Octopart. The old UI elements remain for reasons of priority management. parts created by eeconcierge.com can be found as verified components in the upverter library.

Changes regarding the part request interface in Upverter will be made in the very near future. For now, please use Octopart.com to request new parts. These parts will be made available in upverter when they are complete.

Best,
Keith

2 Likes

Thanks Keith,

I appreciate the swift and complete response. It would be wise to do a bit of education with the Altium support folks as well since frustrated folks (like me) reach out to the mother ship when support on the forum isn’t cutting it.

So if we see a part in Octopart already, how do we get that into Upverter? For example, the Raytac 52833 module (MDBT50Q-512K) is in Octopart, but there is no upverter part for it.

I had several other colleagues with projects who were likewise concerned and will forward your note to them as well.

Thank you,

Bill

And a particular example. This connector exists in Octopart, but when I click on the Upverter link I get page not found (the part is not in the Upverter library): https://octopart.com/046809605110846%2B-avx+%2F+kyocera-103415150?r=sp#CadModels

Thanks,
Bill

Seems like Upverter is pretty dead lately, sad to see such a brilliant & innovative product being tossed aside. My experience over the last week has entirely contradicted a lot of what Keith said in December:

• Bugs in the user interface that are obvious ones and would be very easy to fix
  • Parts that exist in Octopart with CAD models but no way to access in Upverter
  • Submitting part requests through EEconcierge.com (via octopart) results in no response, no status updates, and no parts (we are more than happy to pay for them)
  • No support responses from either Upverter or EEconcierge.com

Really would love to see this product flourish, I’d even pay to use it, but it’s currently in an unreliable state and it’s simply caveat emptor for any users running into issues or wanting new parts.

Thank you,
Grant

@billsaltcocoa @keith-lee-gstix

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your feedback. I love this tool and I also want to see it flourish. The truth of the matter is that Upverter is changing a lot under the hood, and this means that fixes and changes to front-end elements are a bit slower than we’d like. In response to your points:

• As with all software projects our developers have to triage bug reports and infrastructure changes so certain issues take longer to get resolved than others. Rest assured that all of these bugs are being reviewed and will be addressed as soon as possible. It would be incredibly helpful if you could contribute to the support channel of the forum with new bugs, extra details with existing issues, etc.
  • There does seem to be a dissonance with some components between Octopart and Upverter. I’m looking into it.
  • The EE Consierge is now a function of Octopart. There is a plan to have the part request interface link directly to the octopart consierge pages, but for the time being, please relay your part requests to the octopart site. They are no longer servicing any of the requests submitted within Upverter.
  • As for support requests:
    • At this time, it is best to direct support questions for Upverter to the forum. I’m not sure what’s up with the support email, but I am not monitoring it, myself.
    • I recommend directing support questions for EE Consierge to octopart support.

Thanks Keith,
I appreciate your response, but I do have to say that due to the long lag time to address these issues, many of us have abandoned this once wonderful tool. Most of these issues were brought up many months ago with no progress.

Upverter unfortunately has a steep uphill climb for us to use it going forward, I’m sorry to say.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I completely understand. I will make announcements as changes are announced and completed and will continue to respond to the forum as quickly as I can.

Best,
Keith

Thanks keith for sharing answer.

Hi there,

This post dates back to 2020, I really would like to know how upverter is doing now in 2022?

In one hand, Octopart seems to be doing great with the current chip shortage.
On the other hand, the classic circuit editor is now hard to find (little button at the bottom of the Upverter page). And finally, I can see the potential for the modular designer but I could never really get it doing anything I find usefull…

There is also ALtium Circuit Maker which is intended for the exact same use and people as upverter. Is there any plan to merge the 2 tools ? That would be cool. But it is not even mentionned on Altium website, this is puzzling to me…

I was a very enthusiast user of Upverter but I have to say that I am losing faith…

Best Regards,
Vince

1 Like

Really appreciate your post.

Not dead, just zombie. Looks like a huge mess to me created by poor Altium management. I used CircuitMaker 5 years ago and now I just wanted to try Upverter as a platform independent tool, but not even account creation works. Somehow after 3 attempts I was able to create an account for the forum.

1 Like

Hmm. I was coming here to see if I could get some help with a design that didn’t seem to be going as the instructions suggest, but looking at massive number of spam posts, it seems my time might be wasted here. Pity, because building a Jetson carrier board is a lot of work to do from scratch.

Since upVerter is supposedly still being supported – I am still trying to get a response from Altium on this - and software designers still want suggestions, perhaps this will be helpful.

I used upVerter in 2021 to make a PCB and it worked great. However, I had to create most of my own parts. UpVerter has resistors in its library. If I was using all one style of resistor (let’s say all were 0.6W and 6.3mm length), I would find one in the library that worked and I liked (its pads were big enough and the right size, for example), I would use it for all my resistors. I would then keep a separate record - outside of upVerter - on the values of the resistors. Same basic approach for the capacitors. Connectors were a problem - I created parts for all my connectors. I had a PCB-mounted transformer, so I created a part for it. We were using a dual triode vacuum tube, so I created a part for it. We had the PCB manufactured, we soldered all the parts and connectors in place (both surface mount and through-hole), we plugged it in, and it worked - no errors, no rework necessary. Beautiful, nice clean job. UpVerter worked great.

But … problem in upVerter - if there is say a 0207 size resistor, upVerter only needs one resistor for this. There is no need to clutter up the libraries with this same size resistor in many of its values (50 ohm, 1.2K, 56K, 1M, etc), and often created by different people so many of the resistor options for the same part have different footprints (lengths, widths, pad sizes, distance of pad from the resistor body, hole size for the through-wires, silkscreen outline, etc.). Same thing for capacitors. The values of the resistors, capacitors, inductors, is not very important as to laying out a PCB. What matters is that the parts will fit once the PCB is manufactured, and that the silkscreen markings on the PCB are the correct dimensions for a part.

Another problem is that people who make parts label them differently. It is not uncommon to find more than one version of a part on upVerter. It also makes it hard to find parts in searches. I may have created an upVerter part for a part already in the library, but I could not find the part - so after an hour or two of looking, I would give up and just create my own.

I don’t use upVerter to document my schematic. I document the schematic and its parts - the values and part numbers - outside of upVerter in a separate document. I use upVerter to create an accurately wired circuit to the right size and dimension parts, and then use the PCB tools to make the PCB - this ultimately is all that matters. My master schematic, then, is the one I have outside of upVerter, and upVerter is subservient to it (not the other way around).

The lament above about having a concierge make the part and this is holding up a project … well, I might suggest you make the part yourself. Then you know what you have. It does not take very long to make a part and have it added to the library and you will then no longer be held up waiting for someone else whom you cannot contact directly.

I might add, and end with this: Parts do not have to be verified in order to make the Gerber file and have the PCB manufactured. One can wait forever for a part he or she created to be verified. I have run across the situation where I had to create a part or I could not make the PCB. In that case I did not have time to have an outside party verify it. So we would check, double-check, and triple-check the part we made to ensure it was good. Then we would trust it and make the PCB. This has worked well for us

Support people at Altium notified me in a 22 October 2023 e-mail that Altium no longer supports Upverter. So we finally have some clarity on this.

The support person recommended Altium Education for university students. Others at Altium I have talked with have said its CircuitMaker program is not used much (suggesting minimal support) and suggested I (or we) consider other Altium products for PCBs.