Is upverter dead?

IS UPVERTER DEAD?

I have been trying to get a part made, posting several days ago that I continue to receive an error message indicating an ‘internal server error’.

After receiving no response for several days, I contacted Altium support.

Michael M. told me (part of the online chat conversation):

• I was able to confirm that upverter is not supported. I will see if there was any additional information regarding this and if anything official was sent out then I can send it to you.
    Just to clarify the support for upverter is on the forum and the product is not dead itself. Altium no longer covers for support. But you can also use eeconcierge if your forum is not getting action. https://eeconcierge.com/

Note that eeconcierge doesn’t seem to know anything about making parts for upverter, so I’m essentially dead in the water.

Thoughts? Rebuttals?

Hi Bill,
Not to worry, Upverter is in active development and maintenance. The concierge part request is a feature that, due to the restructuring of the back-end post-Altium-acquisition, was relegated to Octopart. The old UI elements remain for reasons of priority management. parts created by eeconcierge.com can be found as verified components in the upverter library.

Changes regarding the part request interface in Upverter will be made in the very near future. For now, please use Octopart.com to request new parts. These parts will be made available in upverter when they are complete.

Best,
Keith

2 Likes

Thanks Keith,

I appreciate the swift and complete response. It would be wise to do a bit of education with the Altium support folks as well since frustrated folks (like me) reach out to the mother ship when support on the forum isn’t cutting it.

So if we see a part in Octopart already, how do we get that into Upverter? For example, the Raytac 52833 module (MDBT50Q-512K) is in Octopart, but there is no upverter part for it.

I had several other colleagues with projects who were likewise concerned and will forward your note to them as well.

Thank you,

Bill

And a particular example. This connector exists in Octopart, but when I click on the Upverter link I get page not found (the part is not in the Upverter library): https://octopart.com/046809605110846%2B-avx+%2F+kyocera-103415150?r=sp#CadModels

Thanks,
Bill

Seems like Upverter is pretty dead lately, sad to see such a brilliant & innovative product being tossed aside. My experience over the last week has entirely contradicted a lot of what Keith said in December:

• Bugs in the user interface that are obvious ones and would be very easy to fix
  • Parts that exist in Octopart with CAD models but no way to access in Upverter
  • Submitting part requests through EEconcierge.com (via octopart) results in no response, no status updates, and no parts (we are more than happy to pay for them)
  • No support responses from either Upverter or EEconcierge.com

Really would love to see this product flourish, I’d even pay to use it, but it’s currently in an unreliable state and it’s simply caveat emptor for any users running into issues or wanting new parts.

Thank you,
Grant

@billsaltcocoa @keith-lee-gstix

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your feedback. I love this tool and I also want to see it flourish. The truth of the matter is that Upverter is changing a lot under the hood, and this means that fixes and changes to front-end elements are a bit slower than we’d like. In response to your points:

• As with all software projects our developers have to triage bug reports and infrastructure changes so certain issues take longer to get resolved than others. Rest assured that all of these bugs are being reviewed and will be addressed as soon as possible. It would be incredibly helpful if you could contribute to the support channel of the forum with new bugs, extra details with existing issues, etc.
  • There does seem to be a dissonance with some components between Octopart and Upverter. I’m looking into it.
  • The EE Consierge is now a function of Octopart. There is a plan to have the part request interface link directly to the octopart consierge pages, but for the time being, please relay your part requests to the octopart site. They are no longer servicing any of the requests submitted within Upverter.
  • As for support requests:
    • At this time, it is best to direct support questions for Upverter to the forum. I’m not sure what’s up with the support email, but I am not monitoring it, myself.
    • I recommend directing support questions for EE Consierge to octopart support.

Thanks Keith,
I appreciate your response, but I do have to say that due to the long lag time to address these issues, many of us have abandoned this once wonderful tool. Most of these issues were brought up many months ago with no progress.

Upverter unfortunately has a steep uphill climb for us to use it going forward, I’m sorry to say.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I completely understand. I will make announcements as changes are announced and completed and will continue to respond to the forum as quickly as I can.

Best,
Keith