ESP8266 Sensor Platform

This is a little wifi platform I’ve been developing to enable the creation of a bunch of cheap, always-on sensors. Sorry, my layout has gotten pretty messy - I’ll probably redo it for the next rev. (At this point, I’m still throwing ideas against the wall!) I’ll also be removing the linear regulator and one of the USB connectors.

Questions:

• Do you think it would be valuable to have an onboard processor to enable USB bootloading and debugging?
  • I should be able to fit this on the back of the board and keep it totally optional
  • Any thoughts on having a MicroUSB connecter versus a PCB connector?
  • Do you see any value in preserving ESP-01 capability?
  • Would you prefer specific footprints for a handful of sensors or a prototyping area to allow for greater flexibility?
  • What other capabilities would you want from a module like this?

Questions and criticisms welcome!

https://upverter.com/GeorgeHahn/37db81be7f4d2b9c/ESP8266-Sensor-Carrier/

1 Like

Debug interface always have a value, but if you’re planning to sell your audiency may not care about it in these arduino days.

IMHO use a conector is better than the board, since you never know were in the field someone will place the board. The cable+connector will give an easier access to the interface.

About the specific footprints vs prototyping area it’s all about who are you targeting? Some time ago I was thinking in a platform like this one and my Idea was to use I2C and provide connectors around all modules to interface.

1 Like