Glitches in STL 3d model

Hello.

After exporting my PCB to the STL model file and importing it into 3D model editor I realized that there’s a strange cylinders appears on the place of some components.

My questions is:

1. How the actual 3D shape primitives are generated for each component?
  2. Is there a way to fix such glitches manually by editing the parts?

Thanks in advance.

Huh, that looks wrong! Sorry!

For some reason the capacitors have been rotated and are laying sideways. I’m working on our mechanical & 3d stuff right now - I’ll take a look into this issue as well.

I have no idea if you can change the part to fix theses - my guess is no.

Hello and thank you for the answer!

It would be much better to have the possibility to match an existing 3d model for each component or at least to specify part’s mechanical characteristics such as height, width and length manually or choose a corresponding JEDEC/IPC package type along with it’s footprint data.

Cheers.

@EP Yours actually looks relatively OK. This is what I got:

I’m sorry guys but I think it is very disrespectful to keep showing “3D Rendering” as part of [your features][1][1]: https://upverter.com/features/tools/

Alex.

Hi.

Seems bad because of strange cylinders on it. Not fixed still and as it solid model, it’s absolutely useless because I have to maually remove those glitched vertexes.

Cheers.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way.

True, there’s no any “3D render” tab so it’s a lie.

it’s certainly a bit on the deceptive side. Maybe there used to be a tab but I doubt it worked like what that illustration shows. I mean that picture (on the features page) is a bit bush league - I don’t know why they just don’t show a true representation of what is produced using a viz toolkit (even if it’s better than what I use). Of course I’m assuming that picture is not a real STL representation. Every other image on that page shows a true representation of what you’ll see in UV and yet they throw that 3d representation image in there and it’s like “really?” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: is there an emoji for head shaking? :wink:

Still not fixed. Come on, guys!

1 Like

These forums have very little activity. It makes me wonder wether they are still actively improving the product or not.

I have started to consider another EDA’s to move my designs on to one of them. Despite some of great features like verified parts database or concierge service there’s a lot of drawbacks which makes overall impression of working on designs and poor.

If they suddenly after moths of blackout will announce a new version with all of issues fixed that’s will be great, but for now Upverter is not a tool of choice for more or less complex designs.

1 Like

I would not be surprised if the paid version works flawlessly. Not assuming you’re using the free version*

what cad software are you using?

The paid version does not work flawlessly.

okay then that sucks.

Working well here in Fusion 360. you may want to export it again into some proper 3d software.