Concierge parts taking up to 1 week: concerned

Wondering if this is the new normal? The ETA notification is nice but the expected times don’t really map to any sort of reality. I understand that maybe there’s a backlog but some of these parts are not super complicated. I mean, there’s a can cap, a chip bead (inductor), a rj-45 port (prob the most complicated part?), and a pretty standard, fairly uncomplicated voltage reg from TI - all taking a week to create.

Guess I just trying to figure out for the future how when I should start queueing up parts so that they’ll be ready by the time I need to capture them to my schematics.

Maybe an option for rush processing for $1? :wink: I’m half joking since I think a week is too long.

@ekeyser I just signed up for the pro version also and have about 4 parts in line to be created and more that are in line to be verified.

The ETA for all these were initially set for 3 days which is longer than I wanted to wait for sure but I figured I can live with 3 days considering I don’t have to mess with wasting time to do this myself.

I checked in to see the status of these parts last night since I was coming up on the 3 day ETA mark and I was happy to see the part being worked on with only 60 mins left until they were done, see below.

That was last night at midnight, I woke up today and figured I would check and see if the magic had happened while I was sleeping but nothing has changed, its still a 60m wait time :smile:

I wonder how long its going to be until the parts are done. I sure hope its not a week like your seeing. It’s a little hard to gauge since there is so little activity on this forum.

I did ask support during another question if the 3 day lead time was accurate and they said 3 days is good for 95% of the parts.

They have no problem pushing the “Never Create A Part Again” in their advertising which does indeed sound great but not if it going to take a week for each part to be created.

@zak It would be nice if somebody from Upverter can step in here and at least let us know what this looks like from their end. They did say that they are trying to manage their cost for having USA based engineers do this work.

In all fairness I did get 1 part verified today within the 3 day ETA that was given. :smile:

One of the guys as Upverter is actively working on about 3-4 parts right now so I assume he will keep working through them until they are done.

We shall see how much longer the most complicated chips to be created but I’m happy to see progress within the timeline given.

Sorry guys - we’ve had a little trouble keeping up with requests the past few weeks. But we’re working on fixing it. We’ve adjusted the number of free requests, were on-boarding some new part librarian employees, and @mwoodworth is back managing the queue again.

It may take a few more days to get back under control - and we apologize for the delay - but it should get much better soon. Ultimately were trying to get back to a max 24 hour turnaround.

@Zak Thanks for the update, its means a lot.

Can you give us any idea as to how many parts your processing per day or week or month? Just curious how many people are using these service on the regular as it seems like it would be popular.

I mistakenly added a res that ended up taking a concierge request. Not only did I lose a part request (which is utter bs) but now that I’ve deleted it I’m left with this nonsense:

I picked the wrong day to quit smoking :wink:

@ekeyser I see you have posted plenty about a few different issues you have had so far with zero replies. Do you get your questions answered via the Live help Intercom app at the bottom right of the design screen?

What are your thoughts about Upverter other than the Part Creation service not being near as quick as we would like it to be at the moment. So far out of 5 or 6 parts I have only had 1 verified. The rest are still waiting and most are still showing being worked on with only 60 mins left now almost 24 hours later.

Is mostly everything else working smoothly for you? I’m kinda waiting on these parts to get made to start on anything.

Have you tried making parts manually without much trouble? That seems to be the quickest way to get it done at the moment.

@solardude Live help doesn’t always bring someone online right away. support@ is also hit or miss.

Yeah I like their service for the most part (EDA features + Concierge). I mean, it beats paying mucho dinero for Altium and running Windows (or Orcad or Cadence or whatever else). I tried using CircuitMaker (Altium) but it didn’t have the features I needed for this one project I’m working on. So I basically started over on UV and have been able to make it a bit further. Big challenge is my DDR3 interface and also have some other high speed interfaces that will take me some time to route.

Parts-wise at least with CircuitMaker, I would just hack my way through in such a way as just taking a footprint of an existing unrelated part that was the same as what I needed and then relabeling pins. Got the job done as long as the footprints were exactly the same (doesn’t always work). But it was a bit time consuming and I’m only 1 person :wink: I doubt I could do the same w UV but don’t really know for sure - haven’t tried making parts w UV yet. I would actually be OK w just paying a la carte for parts requests w/ pricing based on # of pins if it were guaranteed to have a 24 hour turnaround.

At the end of the day my only beef w UV usually comes down to the lack of comm. I send emails to support@ but don’t always get a response so it’s hard to tell if my questions or bugs are being looked into. In the meantime I then try to figure out or coordinate what to work on while guessing if a particular bug will be fixed quickly or if I should figure out another workaround. Don’t know how many people work at UV (my guess is less than 20) so I can understand burnout, high workload, etc. But yeah sometimes it can be frustrating with the perceived radio silence and the long lead times on Concierge. But it’s a balancing act.

Sorry that was long winded but hope that answered your question.

Of course. I’m away this week - so I’ll have to get you proper numbers next week. But last I checked it was something like 7.5 minutes per request, 200ish requests per day.

1 Like

@zac @ekeyser Today Upverter got all my parts created and verified after a intercom message asking about how much longer they think it might take. This is what @zac promised.

Now I can move on with the schematics and board designs and experience all Upverter has to offer.

@zac I would consider offering a Quick Turn part creation service for a fixed cost for those situations where people want or need it NOW because I would for sure pay for that near instant gratification in some cases.

Your target 2 day wait time is not bad at all either.

I think I got confused by reading some old article I found online where they were promoting the part creation service and the were talking about how quick it was, just a few hours and max 24 hours. For some reason I just assumed that was what I could expect when I signed up.

Steven told me 95% of all parts get created in 3 days or less when I messaged when evaluating the free account. So when it took a week I was just confused and frustrated because I wanted everything they were offering and I wanted it to deliver since it was solving so many problems I was having with KiCad.

I guess from my point of view I was just under the wrong impression of how long it should take for a part to created when I submitted the parts to be made. If the ETA would have shown 7 days I would have been surprised but at least I would have known not to expect something sooner.

Just saying I would hate to have others who are excited to have to experience the same thing when a proper ETA time would have done the trick.

Other than this issue I’m really loving Upverter and what it looks like it will do for making my life easier when creating circuit boards. Can’t wait to try working with other engineers remotely, that was something that was really, really hard with KiCad.

Yet another day with yet another 60 min ETA only to be sitting around waiting for days on end with no finished part. I’m kind of getting sick of hearing about excuses. At some point I’d like to start getting some $ back or some free part requests back. What’s the point of buying concierge if it doesn’t actually DO anything??? For the 10th time.

@ekeyser Did they get you taken care of yet?

I think if they would just let people know the service in still in Beta phase and that it could take up to a week that it then wouldn’t be so frustrating for us.

I have not had any more parts that needed created yet but if I have to wait a week again I’m not going to be thrilled about it.

I think is more than fair for them to offer some credits back if the part takes more than 2 days or something like that.

Also does every verification use up one of your credits? It seems to automatically put my parts into verification without asking me most of the time.

Not sure on verification but I believe it does. Yes I agree and I’ve sent notes a couple different times indicating that the behavior should include an ETA before submitting requests as well as a confirmation that using a part that isn’t yet verified will use up a request. Seems fairly basic to implement.

Yes it is starting to be a drain on my time. Actually I’m none too happy recently with their level of support. Turns out my account has been running without a feature for a couple months now ever since switching over to a paid customer - even after submitting forum posts and support@ requests. And when I say none too happy I really mean “seriously wtf?!” Again it’s not the bugs or fact that I haven’t been able to take advantage of something like scripting but the lack of response to my questions. There’ll be bugs. Will there always be lackluster support?

Hey, I’m still test driving Upverter, but have also noticed that Naman_Bhayani, (only an hour away from completing a couple of parts I submitted for verification), must be in another time zone - over three days from EST ???
Seriously, guys, if Upverter can neither deliver on advertised features nor provide effective support, this wonderful, innovative, tool is going to disappear faster than cold beer at a summer BBQ :frowning:

Woo Hoo! Finally done. Thank you. Hope all the growing pains with the product get ironed out. Too good to die.

@gary64 @ekeyser Both times I have posted about the long wait times for parts to get made they get them taken care of later that day :smile:

Hopefully this multiple day waiting window will get smaller soon.

OOps … spoke too soon. My really simple little 5 pin TSSOP device [MAX8519EXKxy+T] got ‘concierged’ incorrectly - mirror image - both schematic pin numbers and footprint. Ouch !!

Problem explained. Package dimension drawing from Maxim [90-0188 rev. B] is flipped from the correct top view of the chip in their data sheet … and lacks any pin 1 i.d. The ‘concierge’ obviously didn’t catch this when creating the footprint. " Be careful out there, folks".

I’m writing 6 months later, and I’ve had to wait over a week for parts to be completed (still isn’t completed). If they are still supporting this project, the long lead time is worrying.

I’m still waiting for parts to be fixed since February.